Grief Counseling: Good News for Medicare Recipients

Larry Lynn GVOH Mayor

If you are over 65 and are seeking professional help in the form of Grief Counseling to help you with the grieving process, the New Year 2014 brings really good news. The full impact of the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act passed by Congress in 2008 is finally realized.

For the first time since Medicare began, recipients will be responsible for only 20 percent of the bill for psychological therapy, and Medicare will pay the remaining 80 percent (after you’ve exhausted the $147 deductible).

If you feel you are depressed after the death of a loved one you should not hesitate to seek professional help from a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker or grief therapist.  Depression is a completely normal part of passage through grief stages. Grief counseling in the form of psychotherapy and/or drug therapy can do wonders to help you get through it.

You can refer to my earlier blogs about how to identify mental health resources in your community. I urge you to start with your own primary physician or your minister.

6 thoughts on “Grief Counseling: Good News for Medicare Recipients”

    1. Avatar photo

      I would suggest you go to the ADEC website, and search for someone near you. The link is:

      If you can’t click on this link, then paste it into your browser. If you don’t know how to do this, write me directly at

      Here is another useful link for finding someone:

      You might also talk to your physician or clergyman for a local reference.

      I am very sorry for your loss, and can’t imagine what pain you are in. We are around the same age, and I have a daughter.


    1. Avatar photo

      Hi Sarah,
      I’m sorry for your loss. According to what I had learned, as of 2014 Medicare should pay 80% of grief therapy costs after you’ve covered your deductible. Talk to the greif therapist you choose about this.

  1. I loss my childhood pet, do you entertain pet loss counseling also? After his pet cremation in Hampton roads.  Initially the waves may be intense and relentless, pummeling us to the ground. We may feel that we will never breath (or stop crying) again. But with time and some work, the waves gradually recede, allowing us to stand and take tentative strides toward a “new normal.” Still, the waves will come and go, often crashing near a special day or at a moment when our dear fur-family member comes to mind.Please refer to this link: roads/

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top